Thursday, October 1, 2009

My dearest Uncle Peter.

Dear All,

My dearest Uncle Peter passed away peacefully last night. He was surrounded by his children and my Aunt Lisa - love, love, love all around him. Words cannot do justice in describing what a wonderful man he was, and what a special person in my life.

Uncle Peter celebrated my move to Boston over a decade ago, and cheered me through my endless studies. "We've got another doctor in the house! Doctor Danda!" he'd exclaim. I have lost count of how many times he welcomed me with open arms and the tighest of hugs to his From Away Farm house in Maine - it became my other home, in grounding, in comfort, in spirit. For years I would drive up in my trusted 1990 Honda ("Jack"), and he would make sure that I kept it looking cared for - washed, polished, oil changed... for one should have pride in one's possessions, and there was no excuse for neglect, he would tell me. He would watch me typing away at my laptop, writing yet another report, and would combine praise for my efforts with gentle reminders to take breaks from all the work. He would make me giggle as he'd tell me a phrase in his Sicilian dialect and I would tease him as to whether he was speaking Italian at all. In my days as a student, he would often slip me a $50 bill as we'd say good bye, with a wink and a "Look after yourself, treat yourself, you deserve it" - that was his way: generous, kind and supportive. Despite his hearing aid, this was a man who was a good listener and who would share his own accounts of his experiences in his "hey day" with humour and a twinkle in his eye, that would have us all smiling. Uncle Peter embraced Julian as if he were his own son; he spent hours with him in the garden and shared many an evening chatting on the deck as they sipped their aperitifs. Julian often described feeling the closest of bonds to him, and their companionship was lovely to watch. Uncle Peter gave me wonderful memories in St. Thomas; again, so many happy trips and happy times with family and friends, under both sunny skies and tropical rain fall. "Life is good," he would say, "Life is good."

My parents, Julian, James and I saw Uncle Peter on webcam last week. He looked great and made us laugh, and it was wonderful to hear his voice. I may not have an internet connection to heaven, but I know that he will continue to read this blog, cheer me on, and feel all the love that so many have for him. I miss him so.

4 comments:

  1. I am so saddened that your Uncle Peter passed away! I never met him, but I often heard you and your Mom say beautiful things about him. The words you write show what a wonderful person he was and how much he will be missed by all of those who knew and loved him. A special hug to your Aunt Lisa, Alexis, and Chris, who will miss him the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear about Uncle Peter's passing. I have only fond memories of him and how welcomed he made me feel when I visited Far Away Farm for your and Julian's wedding celebration. I felt such a peace there that I will forever connect to Lisa and Peter. I hope that Uncle Peter finds that same peace in heaven and that his family find it here on earth in their wonderful memories of him.

    Love to all,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your uncle Peter's passing. I remember the time we spent at Far Away Farm for your wedding celebration with such warmth and fondness and thinking how wonderfully generous your aunt and uncle were/are. I would also like to send a special hug to Aunt Lisa, Alexis and Chris. I'm thinking of all of you. xxJessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Alex

    I found a letter which you wrote to me dated 13 years ago when I was packing today. It must have been a sign. I did try to get in touch with you in Spain but was not successful. Therefore I asked Chi (remember him?) to try to see if you have a presence on the net. Alex, we would like to reconnect with you again. Please do contact either of us at the following email addresses:

    Mei Wai: wmwcch@singnet.com.sg
    Chi: chihoong.chang@allenovery.com

    Love,

    Mei Wai

    ReplyDelete