Thursday, November 5, 2009

Beautiful, noble, strong Alex.


It was such a phenomenal pleasure to visit Alex last week and meet the absolutely adorable James. He is a perfect mixture of innocence, energy and playfulness and yes, he has a very resolute streak to him. As I sat in Alex and Julian's lovely living room and watched his unshakable determination to reach the toy just out of reach, I had to laugh out loud. That fabulous Priorelli determination is immediately recognizable (and Julian's good looks, to boot!)

Before we met, I was not sure what to expect from Alex. I wondered if she would be very weak, if we would need to stay inside to conserve her energy for the marathon. To be honest, and in the spirit of truthfulness and trust that is the hallmark of this blog, I feared that I would see Alex as a shadow of her former beautiful, and powerful self. How could it be possible to endure so much physical pain, to experience all the fear and hope endemic in the daily battle against this f***er without loosing a little soul? I should have known better. I should have known Alessandra better! She looked stunningly beautiful despite her very burnt hands and feet. She was brimming with loveliness and energy. Her hair has grown back and is as soft as James's! As we sat in a hip South Ken restaurant eating lunch, I was struck by Alex's innate nobility and strength in face of this crisis. We shed tears and laughed about all of the absurdities of our lives and when it came to saying goodbye, well it was just difficult beyond words. So to my great joy, we met again the next day for another dose! Alex, I love you so much and will carry you in my thoughts until we rejoice together in your complete recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment