Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Angels A-plenty

So, dear Danda, you know that all of us are sending our love, positive vibes, prayers - whatever our tack is. Days before you posted those beautiful photos of you and your babe, I received a CD in the mail full of songs I grew up with. (My mother was a singer in a women's group led by a composer and pianist of wonderful talent, Chesley Kahmann.) This particular CD of hers has mostly sacred songs. You know my bent, but I take a loosely spiritual approach to the words and she allows that easily. A lullaby came on as I listened, and I immediately thought of you and James. The first verse:

Sleep you well,
Grow you tall;
Lie in love so easy.
Grow you smart
in your heart
for you have angels a-plenty.

I wanted to sing it for James, as I sing it to my babes. But the last verse came on, and that was the one that struck me - I wanted to sing it for you:

Dream you well
while you sleep,
rest in love so easy.
Cry you not,
but if you do
remember your angels a-plenty.

And then you posted that picture that I think is worth framing - you and James asleep in bed together. I can't stop looking at it. And I thought, what an angel he is, right there for you. But even more, how many angels you have, holding these thoughts for you, holding this love for you. And I wanted to say, tonight while you rest, and tomorrow as you wait for Friday - rest in love, and should you cry, be sure to remember your angels a-plenty. We are all here for you.

1 comment:

  1. Katherine - Where can one get a recording of that lullaby?

    ReplyDelete