Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gathering Steam for Round 6

Danda,
In preparation for the "assault" tomorrow, I think the troops need an upbeat marching rhyme. Oh, I was so, so glad to read your latest post and know that you had climbed up out of the doldrums and were full of your fighting spirit. You have overcome; now we shall overcome together tomorrow and in the days ahead. Be of good cheer and resolution. Enjoy today with that precious little guy; each beguiling photo of him is more adorable than the last!

Robert Louis Stevenson's poems used to be a mainstay in our lives as children. I have the fondest memories of Mummy reading from The Tall Book of Make-believe on rainy days and at bedtimes. Who knows if Vicki remembers the book from one of our sleep-overs? Next time I write I will share with you some humorous stories from those West Hartford days with your dear mom and her sister and brother. They were some of the happiest of my life.

"Marching Song"
From Child's Garden of Verses

Bring the comb and play upon it!
Marching, here we come!
Willie cocks his highland bonnet,
Johnnie beats the drum.

Mary Jane commands the party,
Peter leads the rear;
Feet in time, alert and hearty,
Each a Grenadier!

All in the most martial manner
Marching double-quick;
While the napkin, like a banner,
Waves upon the stick!

Here's enough of fame and pillage,
Great commander Jane!
Now that we've been round the village,
Let's go home again.

Wrapping you in the promises and joys of Passover and Easter as part of your shield.
My sisters join me in the ranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment