Wednesday, March 11, 2009

GOOD NEWS


Dear All,

I can't tell you how many times I have visualised walking into Dr. Plowman's office, and having him say, "I have good news...." I wished it with all my being, I hoped it with all my heart, I imagined it with all my strength. And yet there was such fear... And this afternoon, holding onto Julian's hand so tightly, I walked into Dr. Plowman's office and heard the words, "Well, I am happy to say I have good news...."

All of my tumours have shrunk (surreal, as always, to refer to them as a "collective"). My liver has shown particularly significiant progress, which is what Dr. Plowman said is the most important factor and indicator of my healing. My breast has also gone down significantly. My lymph nodes have shown comparatively less of a great change, but still continue to shrink nonetheless. Originally reported "suspicious spots" on my lungs are now gone. My bones were not scanned per se, as I was told that "healing spots" on bones show up the same as malignancies this early on - and if all the rest of me is responding well to chemotherapy, then those small spots are expected to have done the same. All, in all, I am healing, I am healing, I AM HEALING!!!

So where do we go from here? The road is long, and looks like at least from the chemo front, will be even longer. I am supposed to keep on track with two more rounds of this intensive chemo (March 18th and April 8th), with the possibility of a seventh round. Then, I am now scheduled to continue with a second "chapter" of chemo: instead of getting an intensive chemo treatment one day with a 21 day break (given to me intravenously, and it is a wham to my body), the new chemo would be given to me everyday for 14 days with a seven day break. This would be given in tablet form (with extra chemo given in injections on days #1 and #8). It is presumably less of a hit to my immune system, as the chemo is given over 14 days instead of just one blast on a single day. The downside is that I have less of a "break". Dr. Plowman said that, given how well I have responded to chemo, we have to keep going, and the goal is that I have to get my liver clear. So, I will be having chemo into the summer.... deep breath... And then, all will be reassessed, to see if or when, surgery and/or radiotherapy would be the next plan.

So, it is a long road, such a long road. Overwhelming. But I know that I have it in me to fight this, and I am crossing that finish line, however long this journey is going to take me. The chemo, the diet, the vitamin supplements, the visualisations, the faith, the love, the messages and emails and calls, my "troops"... this positive energy is working, and that's what important.

And speaking of positive energy, the photo above is of James on my lap, as we sing and play. I love his glee, his joy, and I share in it extra specially today. Thank you all for your thoughts, encouragement, and prayers. They continue to mean the world to me.

4 comments:

  1. I am so utterly delighted and relieved to hear your good news. I have been checking the blog obsessively all day, hoping and praying.... and praying and hoping and bargaining with whatever God might be listening.
    It does not surprise me to see that you have inspired a mini army of friends across the globe. You are loved where ever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi A,
    Like Joanne, I too have been checking all day for an update on your appointment. I am so happy for you, Julian, James and your entire family and support troops. We all breathe a collective sigh of relief that your treatment is working, your tumors are responding and you are healing. While the road may be longer than hoped, we can only continue to believe and pray that you will beat this. Thanks for the best news of the day. Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting in my office, with my postdoc testing a child behind me, and I am crying tears of joy and wishing I didn't have to keep so quiet!! I feel like shouting, YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!! You're BEATING that fucker.
    xoxoxoxo
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete