Thursday, March 19, 2009

THE SOUND OF MUSIC



Round 5 and I am sure you have "gone to ground", so to speak, like a smart fox, curled up in your bed with your new Ipod and headphones. Close your eyes and just listen. Let the melodies wash over and caress you, be they courageous march or adagio by Albinoni. Have you recently heard Lark Ascending by Vaughn Williams? What a lovely, restful contemplation. It is an immensely soothing piece. I am a very bad mathematician, so why is it that music makes sense to me? Music is organized, has structure. Why then do I, slightly dingy and with more than a few screws loose, find music so rewarding? Perhaps, somebody will explain. I leave you with a charming bit of rhyme:

"And the night shall be filled with music,

And the cares that infest the day

Shall fold their tents like the Arabs

And silently steal away." - H.W. Longfellow (I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment